Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Month, New Bills, New Budget


Accessed from mises.org
 Student Loans.  Ugh.  The pitfall of my ambition and the last gazillion years of my life.  No, really.  I am 25 years old, and have been in school for 21 years.  At some point, shouldn't the educational system be paying me? 

I digress.  Back to the point of this post, I have been prolonging the inevitable for about 3 years now.  You see, you can defer your student loans as long as you are still in school.  I took advantage of this (and the fact that I am having to pay back virtually NO interest until I make the first payment) and for the past 3 years I have sent in my paperwork with a transcript and class schedule, proving I am still a student.  Apparently you need to be a full-time student, so guess what?! My loans are due.  In two weeks.  Nice of them to give me a ton of warning, right?!

So, the hubs and I decided to rework our budget to see if we have the money to pay these little buggers.  We do.  PHEW!  But, that means some rework of the budget and being extra careful not to spend money on things we really don't need.  We came up with a plan of attack which still allows us to have some spending money.  But now, my spending money each week has to cover my hair cut/color (boo), lunch (if I choose to go out), anything I want to buy, fun stuff, etc.  So, can I do it?  We agreed to $40 per week (most weeks I don't spend nearly this much), but my goal is $25 per week, using the extra $15 to save up some extra cash.

Wish me luck - this is my budget for the next gazillion years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment